Friday, February 19, 2021

Rihokora #17 - Feb 20, 2021 - Amazing Dance (Mo)vements* Part 1

 

* Riho always finds a way to include the (mu) from Rihokora(mu) or Riho-column in the title


And… our topic today is...

Another 2 weeks have gone by so fast! This is Riho Sayashi.

Something I have often thought about when time passes too quickly is “Time flies. I am getting closer to the end of my life”.

I’m writing this late at night, which made me think I could have made a better usage of my time today. This coincided with the thought above, which makes me want to use my time in a more productive manner in the future!

So today, we will talk about dance! It’s a topic that is very “me”.

I sometimes share my favorite music and performances in my Instagram stories, but I think this is the first time I am writing about them here.

Today I will write about my favorite dance performers. It is going to be long, so I will make this the first installment.


In any case, I want to share this with everyone!

First, we will start with Kinjaz. This is a dance crew with many dancers of Asian descent.

They are a team that has won many competitions, and collaborated with many artists from around the world, and what makes them so cool is the synchronization of their large number of dancers, and the subtlety of their choreographies.

I also feel that the music during their performances, allows the dancing performances to shine, and although it is subtle, the songs often tell a story, have an Asian “flavor”, and the choreography matches the concept well, which makes them very unique.

Each and every member of the crew is amazing, and I hope you checked out Franklin Yu’s solo dancing video, which I posted on Instagram. It’s a performance by the team he leads, but when you watch his solo dance in the video, you can see his attention to detail, and some almost impossible moves, all with a cool face. Please watch the video of him dancing to the song “Numb Getting Colder”* at URBAN DANCE CAMP.

* The original text said "Older" instead of "Colder", which is a typo

When I was studying dance in New York, my dance teacher often used the music of an artist called TroyBoi. He is an artist that makes instrumentals (no vocals), and his music works well with dancing, which is something I liked. I had already been listening to and enjoying his music for a while when I realized something. I was curious, so I did some research, listening to more of his work, and I found out that TroyBoi had worked on a song for the Kinjaz!

I knew it! The Kinjaz were dancing to a TroyBoi song! And I guess the song was written for them, which makes sense, since it fits their performance perfectly.

By the way, TroyBoi has done a remix of the Billie Eilish song “My Boy”. Please give it a listen, if you like.

I was planning to only talk about dance, but I ended up talking about music quite a bit too. You can’t talk about dance, without mentioning music, right?

We will continue talking about dance in the next column! See you then!


https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/1710




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...