Friday, March 5, 2021

Rihokora #18 - Mar 6, 2021 - Amazing Dance (Mo)vements Part 2

 Let's talk again about dance!

This is part 2 of the column about dance.

This time, I would like to introduce "The Royal Family", a dance crew from New Zealand, led by Parris Goebel.  I think they are a team with a very different style than Kinjaz, who I introduced last time.

Do you know the song "Sorry" by Justin Bieber, which was a huge hit in 2016? (Note: I didn't)

The members of the Royal Family were performing in the MV for this song.  Even though it is a group choreography, each member is able to express themselves to the fullest, and yet, as a team, their performance is cohesive and powerful.

To me, this is the hip hop I envisioned since I was a little girl.  I'm sure there are many Japanese kids who dance and admire this style, braiding their hair, and wearing crop tops and loose pants!

Another example is that of the woman with the shaved head performing in the MV of the song "Bang Bang Bang" by BIGBANG.  That woman is Parris Goebel, the leader of this team.  It was a strong performance, so some of you may recognize her from this.

If you don't mind, I would like to compare them to Kinjaz, and say that, while Kinjaz do a static dance with subtle emotions, The Royal Family's dance moves are dynamic, and full of emotions.  Facial expressions are a big part of both teams' performances, but the way they use their expressions is completely different.

Another MV, and song, that I like and have watched many times is "Level Up" by Ciara.  The song's rhythm is so powerful, that it feels like your muscles are going to break.  Both the song and the dance moves are so catchy, and I try to copy them.  I can't really imagine myself performing like them, but as a viewer, I really like their style.  Since most of the song is really intense, dancing to the calmer parts of the song, provides a nice contrast to the more intense parts.

Don't miss my discussion with this guest!

Speaking of dance, I have invited guests of various backgrounds on my radio show "Sayashi Riho to marumaru to" (MBS Radio), and today's episode will feature the famous dancer and choreographer, TAKAHIRO!

It hasn't been recorded yet, but I think it's the first time I will have the chance to discuss dancing with a professional.  I really look forward to it.

It would be great if I could talk one day about my radio recordings, because it is something I have really enjoyed.  

I'm sure it will be an exciting conversation that will open your eyes to a new world, so please come and join us.  The program begins at 11:30, tonight!

By the way, the dance column isn't over yet.  Please look forward to the next installment. ^^

https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/1753

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...