Friday, March 19, 2021

Rihokora #19 - Mar 20, 2021 - Amazing Dance (Mo)vements Part 3

 More to come!

Hello!  We have made it to the 3rd installment.  This time, I really want to talk about Koharu Sugawara.  Since she is involved in many different activities, even people who don't follow dancing may have heard of her.

I don't remember how I came across Koharu Sugawara, but before I knew it, I had become obsessed with her dancing videos.  Her dancing is flashy, yet delicate, tense, but never forceful.

Also, she makes it look effortless, and it's easy to follow what she is doing.  She can complete difficult dance moves, without any errors.  I am sure that her dancing would look great, even in a time-lapse video.

Her costumes, and the way she uses her hair are both beautiful, so make sure to pay attention to such details.

When I watch videos of dancers, I get the impression that even the best dancers feel more powerful when they dance in groups, rather than by themselves, but in Koharu's case, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

Sharing my favorite videos

Let me introduce some of my favorite performances here!  

First, there is "Kimono" by Strawhatz, which you can watch on youtube.  The concept, and the way they use the music is really pleasing to watch.  It's fun to watch the moves of each person in the scene where they are dancing around the chabudai (short-legged, traditional Japanese table).  I highly recommend it.

The angle from which the performance was shot, combined with Koharu's haircut, was really nice.  It's one of my favorites for one more reason.  The music is by an artist called Troyboi.  Who is Troyboi?  If you want to learn more about him, please go back and read Part 1 of this series.  I love dancing to his songs, and I was happy his music was part of this performance too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLY-VBTqxO8

Next, there's a video of Mariah Carey's "Emotions" from the URBAN DANCE CAMP channel.  As the word emotions implies, this is a wonderfully emotional performance.  The range of the dance is rather narrow, and I feel that the emotions are trying to find some space in that narrowness to come out.  That's my take at least!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CXKClVW7lo

Finally, another choreography I like to do myself is the one for the song "Come Over" by Clean Bandit, again at URBAN DANCE CAMP.  I like Clean Bandit's songs, so I have been using them to practice dancing.  It was a little difficult to get the rhythm right before the chorus, because there are so many moves that you have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AuSAidsE4

There is so much I couldn't introduce, but everything I mentioned is recommended, so please go on a journey to find what you like the most!

I've talked about my favorite performers in the last 3 columns, but I have never seen any of them live, so one of my dreams is to go overseas and see them one day.

This is the last column about dancing.  There's so much more to talk about, so I will cover a different topic next time!  See you then!

https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/1801



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...