Friday, January 22, 2021

CanCam - Riho Sayashi interview (Jan 22, 2021)

She worked hard during her dance studies, she powered up, and has now made her comeback:

SAYASHI RIHO

Sayashi-san graduated as an idol at the height of her popularity, and went abroad to study by herself. But in 2020 she came back! She is now a wonderful adult, and we want to know the secrets of her CHANGE.


PROFILE

Born May 28, 1998 in Hiroshima Prefecture. She is a former member of Morning Musume, where her dancing skills made her the group’s ace, and after graduating, she decided to study abroad. She resumed her performing career, and is currently working as a talent (tarento), while making music for her live performances!


The turning point: Studying abroad, can CHANGE your life!


When things go wrong where you are, it’s time to make a change

I feel that I have improved after studying abroad. My language skills improved, my dance skills improved, and above all, I have become more open-minded. Because of this, there are a lot of things I want to try, and I am really excited. I feel my time in New York was definitely a turning point!

However, I was very conflicted before making the decision to go abroad. I was active in Morning Musume, a group I’ve always admired and wanted to join, and I had a lot of friends I cared for. I could have chosen to study dance in Japan. But the real reason I wanted to go abroad was different. I wanted to improve my English. To tell you the truth, I regret not being able to communicate with the fans at our overseas concerts. I had never studied English, and that really upset me. Talking is as important as dancing, which is something I love. I can’t communicate my feelings without words, and conversations have brought me and the people around me a lot of happiness and opportunities. That’s why I wanted to study both subjects.

Also, the idea of remaining in the group half-heartedly, made me feel bad for the other members. At the time I was going through these negative loops, and kept thinking “This is my fault”. I wish I had handled it better at the time, but I was so overwhelmed. If I hadn’t done anything, I would have destroyed, not only my potential, but the potential of the other girls as well. After thinking about it for 6 months, I made the decision to graduate and study abroad.

We can grow up, and become better people, because there is no right answer

The first thing I did, when going abroad, was learn really good English. I actually went there without ever having studied English at all. Looking back on it now, it was a bold decision (laughs). But at the time, I had to take action, so I did it, thinking “If this doesn’t kill me, nothing will”.

I was lonely, far away from my family and friends, I couldn’t speak the language, and it was hard at first. But once I figured out what I had to do, and wanted to do, I felt empowered, and began learning the language, making new acquaintances, and studying dance. I learned so much that I can’t even begin to describe it all, but the first thing I learned, is that there is no right answer for anything. Both dancing and people, have different characteristics, and you can’t describe anything as either right or wrong. Once I learned that, a lot of things fell into place, I became more confident, and a kinder person too.

Since I restarted my career, I have opened my own SNS, performed on stage, written columns, and tried writing lyrics… I have enjoyed challenging myself in many different ways. I feel my experience abroad has helped me grow and become more relaxed. If someone is reading this, and feels they are not able to be positive, and do what they want, I suggest they take a big step forward. Changing your environment can broaden your horizons and allow you to discover new things about the world and yourself. Personally, I will continue challenging myself, so that I can continue growing.


Riho’s history

  • May 28, 1998: Born in Hiroshima

  • 2004: Wants to be an idol; begins learning dance

  • January 2011: Debuts as a member of Morning Musume’s 9th generation

  • 2014: Performs in New York, and becomes interested in other countries

  • October 2015: Announced her graduation from Morning Musume. Graduates on December 31st. She was 17

  • 2016-2018: After taking a break for a few months, she began preparing to study abroad; Attends language school to learn English; Upon returning to Japan, she continues her dance lessons; Prepares for a fresh start

  • May 2020: Opens an Instagram account. On September 3rd announces the resumption of performance arts activities. While doing plays, she begins writing her own song, and preparing for her live concert in 2021.


I was able to change because the words of those around me inspired me”


The top 5: Words that changed Sayashi’s life

Sayashi says she was able to study abroad because the words of those around her taught her how to seize opportunities. This is the round-up!

Tsunku: That’s interesting!

This is what Tsunku always said to me when I made a suggestion. When I was overwhelmed with thoughts, those words always made me feel better. So, thanks for making me realize that I need to give myself space. I still think of this phrase often.

Sanma: It’s ok to make mistakes

When I told Sanma-san on LINE that I was graduating, this is what he said. If you appreciate any mistakes you make, they can become some of the best episodes in your life, and can drive you forward. It felt as if he was talking about my situation, and it really encouraged me. Maybe it was because of these words that I was able to do my best during my studies abroad, without being upset by any of my mistakes.

Ai Takahashi: That’s cool!

Ai-san is my teacher! I’ve always asked her for advice, and even criticism. Takahashi-san would still give me advice on those occasions, and praise me, without ever being negative. Her attitude taught me the importance of positive thinking, and finding the good parts in everything.

Kanon Suzuki: From now on, we will be friends

That’s what my generation-mate, Kanon-chan, told me when I was graduating. Her words were like a magic trick that turned our partnership, as members of the same group, to a friendship, and they reconfirmed to me the meaning of the word friendship. We became even closer after that and we talk on LINE every day. It was thanks to her that I didn’t become homesick when I was abroad.

My parents: Itterasshai! (note: this is an expression used when someone leaves home, and can be translated as “see you later”, “take care”, “return home safely”)

When my parents say itterasshai with a smile on their faces, I know they trust me, and it gives me courage. They think their child will be ok. I have inherited this optimism from them! Even when I am unhappy or depressed, in the end I can be positive because I have learned to think this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...