Saturday, January 23, 2021

Rihokora #15 (Jan 23, 2021)

 Working out, even on days that I don’t want to

(art by @naometal4 twitter.com/naometal4)

I GOT what I wanted!

It’s been two weeks since our last Rihokora.

On a personal note, on the 11th of this month, I sang the song I wrote, for the first time in an online performance. It took a while, but it finally happened. I’m grateful for all the positive feedback I have received. I’m happy I was able to deliver it safely. I am hopeful I will have more opportunities to sing in the future.

Now let’s get to the main point of this article.

The cold weather is making it difficult to go outside. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get enough exercise on days that I couldn’t go outside, so I bought a bicycle.

The supermarket and the pharmacy are close to where I live, but far enough that I wouldn’t want to go there when it’s cold. The bicycle is the solution to this problem. With a bicycle I can also explore places where I usually wouldn’t walk, so I can discover spots and paths I didn’t know existed in my neighborhood. For example, there is a park, where an adult woman like me can jump rope alone, without drawing too much attention!


1 step, and your world becomes bigger

I have always had an interest in houseplants, but had never grown any. I do, however, often put flowers in vases. I’ve heard that it’s good for your health to see green every day, so for someone like me, who spends a lot of time working from home, houseplants are perfect.

So, the other day, I found some stores with some nice potted plants on a street that I passed for the first time on my bike. I usually rely on online shopping, but I couldn’t help but notice the plants, and how wonderful they were, which is something I couldn’t do online.

There was a cafe that displayed the flowers and potted plants stylishly, and would sell them to anyone who liked them. I couldn’t help but want to buy one of them. If I was on foot, it would have been too heavy to carry home, but having a bicycle, makes that possible. After making a purchase, I can go home, knowing I could go back and buy another one if I wanted to. That way, I can also avoid impulse buying.

I initially wanted something taller such as a French rubber tree (furansu gomu) or orange jasmine, but now that I’ve seen some plants in person, I may go with something smaller. I would be very happy to hear from anyone who is growing plants, and has a recommendation!

I had actually been advised a long time ago to get a bike, but I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to ride it for too long without getting bored or tired. In addition to that, I could easily walk in my neighborhood. However, when I began using it, I realized it’s an item that has improved my daily life, and is also very cost-effective! I’m now searching for a place where I can bike and enjoy nature.

I actually had the idea recently of filling my water bottle with drip coffee, riding my bike to a park with a lot of trees, and drinking it there! Let’s do that! I don’t mean to sound vain (ishiki takai), but it would definitely be fun.

See you next time!

p.s. I, finally, began making my own latte.

https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/1632


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...