Tuesday, January 19, 2021

CD Journal - Riho Sayashi

 Riho Sayashi appears in CD Journal for the first time since her graduation from Morning Musume. We asked her about her comeback and her future plans


The desire to perform

Why did you return at this time?

I did theater in September and October (Kuro Sekai, directed by Kenichi Suemitsu), which I was planning to do anyway. But other than that, I didn’t have a clear plan for my return. I had been thinking of creating a space to communicate with the public before my stage performances, but due to covid, I decided to start an Instagram account, so that people who knew me would feel better. A lot of things began to come together around this time.

So first, there were the theater performances. Why did you decide to do that?

The project itself meant a lot to me. It wasn’t really about returning to show business, but about performing on stage.

In 2019, you appeared at Hina Fes.

When I graduated, I had the hope that I would return when I was 20. I wanted to keep my promise, but I wanted to do it when I felt ready. I was 20 at the time of Hina Fes, and the timing felt right. But it had been a long time since I had done anything like this, and I was lost. I even asked for advice on whether I should do it. It took a lot of courage. And even right before I went on stage, I was wondering how the people watching would react.

The cheers were so loud, I had never heard anything like that before. Why do you think that happened?

I’ve never been a person that thinks positively about myself. But now, I try to accept myself for who I am every day, and I am more positive (laughs). I might have something as a performer that makes people want to stand by me. I like being on stage, and I am glad I am doing this now. I feel that coming back is something I wanted to do.

Then, covid happened. What did you think during that period?

I’m the type of person that becomes impatient if I am not doing something, while everyone else is working hard, but everyone was in the same situation. Everyone was staying home, and so did I.

You are that kind of person, aren’t you? If others are working, you feel you have to do your best as well?

That’s right. I am often influenced by others, and when I see them doing different things, I feel I should do the same.

It may sound like that, but I think you may really want to do those things.

It is fun doing things, but I also doubt whether I can do them. But I shouldn’t think like that. I’m having fun right now, doing all kinds of work, getting to wear different costumes, getting to wear make up I’ve never worn before, and being in dramas as well. I am very grateful. I have no choice but to work now, I think!

Is it harder when you do so many different kinds of work?

It’s hard (laughs). Since I am on my own, I have to take the initiative and create things of my own. But if I can experience this, and create my own rhythm, it will be even more fun, I think.

That’s a positive challenge. Working on a drama is also difficult, isn’t it?

On certain days, I got very nervous (laughs), but in the end I enjoyed it. I am grateful that there were many people on the set of the drama, who taught me about acting, and that I shouldn’t think too much about it, which will help me in the future. I feel fortunate to be able to work with such people.

Sayashi-san, you have always been good at acting, and performing on stage, right?

Do you think so? In terms of acting skills, I think I have a long way to go, but since I have performed on stage before, I think I can convey some of my feelings. I try to make the best use of my acting experience to develop my skills and grow.

Do you have an idea of what you want to focus on? I guess you are a performer now.

That’s the big question, right?

I am sure you want to dance…

I do want to dance. But, in addition to dancing, I want to be involved in other fields as well, and in various forms of expression.

How was the response to your stage performances?

When I got on stage, I realized that this is what I wanted to do. Being absent from work was difficult, and I thought “This is work!” (laughs). But then I realized that all the hard work I did while being absent, was so that I could enjoy the stage.

It was a difficult time for you, wasn’t it?

It’s because of that experience that I am here now.

Do you sleep well now?

I sleep a lot (laughs)

Facing each task, one at a time

Can you tell us more about your return? You had already decided to do theater, and didn’t have much else in mind. But as it turned out, a lot of things happened. Do you feel that you just let things happen?

That's part of it. I think my own opinions are becoming more important, and I think more about things, but I think it's a balance. I think it's important to strike a balance between letting things flow and making my own decisions. I think there are times when you should let things happen. I want to take each job and each day seriously, and while I consider that important, I also want to be swept away in a good way.

I was also surprised you joined an office. I didn’t know how that would work.

Neither did I (laughs). But it’s reassuring to have someone around you, and you can learn a lot from them. I think that different opinions are important.

I know there are things you can talk about, and things you can’t, but is there something you are working on right now?

I think my acting work is more prominent now, but I would like to do performances (note: Riho uses the english word) as well. I have a live performance in 6 months, and I’m preparing for it. How we’ll do it, is yet to be determined. We have various things in mind, but we also wonder what people would like to see me do. And because of this situation, I also wonder if people from other countries could come to the show.

I think Hello! Project has fans all over the world. That’s why I think online shows are a good idea. That way, people from remote areas in Japan can also view the performance.

There is a part of me that fears that people will be satisfied if it’s online, and not come to the show, but I think that if someone would enjoy watching the video, they would be happy to come to the show too.

There are many people waiting for you.

I will do my best (laughs).

Regarding your work in the entertainment industry, what about tv, for example?

I’m not very good at it, so I will do my best there too (laughs). But if I don’t think first about how I want to do the live performance, I will get confused (laughs).

Well, don’t push yourself too much, maybe a little bit…

I will try to do the right amount (laughs). I don’t mean to sound self-centered, but since I am in an environment where I can be creative, I would like to see how I can do things.

You have just started, but what do you think so far about working alone?

Having been in a group, it’s now fun to work on my own. If I had been working alone for a long time, I might have felt lonely, but having had the experience of working in a group, I am able to enjoy being alone.

I’ve heard the dressing room is lonely…

Not true (laughs). I do miss the members of the group. But I don’t feel lonely.

So it works for you then?

I’m good at being alone (laughs). I’ve always felt that way (laughs).

I look forward to seeing your live performance next year. But I wonder if you will be the performer you used to be…

I believe that even if you have changed, you can still reach 100% in a different way.

That’s positive thinking…

Talking about it makes me feel positive (laughs). Thinking about it, sometimes doesn’t make me feel that way (laughs).

You’ve grown up, haven’t you?

I always knew I wasn’t a positive person, but that’s why I had to go out into the world, and change. Now, I have changed in some ways, but not in others. But for now, I am enjoying my work.

Please let us know when you begin your next project. Thank you very much for your time today.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...