Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Nikkei Entertainment! March 2021 - Riho Sayashi interview

Former member of Momusu, Riho Sayashi, was worried about her 5 year absence

Born in Hiroshima prefecture on May 28, 1998.  She passed the 9th audition of Morning Musume when she was 12.  She was the group's ace, but graduated at the end of 2015.  After studying abroad, she resumed her entertainment activities in October 2020.  On May 28 she will hold her first solo live after graduating from Morning Musume at Toyosu PIT.

In 2011 when she was only 12, Riho Sayashi was selected as a member of the 9th generation of Morning Musume, and with her great performance skills gained many fans as the group's "absolute ace".  However, in 2015, she suddenly announced her graduation from the group, and left the entertainment industry to study abroad.

She joined a new agency in September 2020, and resumed her performance career 5 years after her graduation.  In November, she appeared in the tv drama "I had a dream of that girl".  In addition to that she appeared on stage in musicals, and her acting career is in full swing.  Finally, she is planning a solo concert in May at Toyosu PIT.

How the entertainment industry has changed during the last 5 years

How did you feel when you made your comeback after 5 years?

- "I was worried about my 5 year absence.  To be honest, I was worried that I would be forgotten while I was gone from the entertainment industry.  I was wondering how I would be received, so I opened an Instagram account in May of last year before returning.  I was wondering what I would do if the only comments I got were "is this a fake account?" (laughs).  But I was happy to find out people were still interested.

There was one more reason I opened an Instagram account at the time.  I thought there must have been a lot of people, like me, who were struggling staying at home due to covid.  So I thought I should do something for the people who know me at least.

When I was in Morning Musume, SNS were just starting to be used in Japan, but now they have become an indispensable tool.  When I used them I felt very close to the fans, which gave me the strength to make a fresh start.  I'm not the type of person that posts a lot, but if I don't make any updates at all, I feel people will be worried, so I try to make periodic updates.

What I think has changed during the last 5 years is that diversity is more accepted.  There are idols that continue their activities, even after they get married, and I think the idea that idols are supposed to be a certain way is fading, and it has become acceptable to be different as well.  That made me feel that there was room for me to do something too."

In part 2 of the interview Riho talked about studying in New York, and about her future plans.

Riho Sayashi: Her story so far, and her restart

2004 - Enrolled in Actor's School Hiroshima: At the age of 6, she enrolled in ASH.  In 2010, she passed the audition and appeared in a Morning Musume theater play.

2011 - Joining Morning Musume: She was chosen among 9000 applicants to become a member of the 9th generation of Morning Musume.  She led the group as the ace of that era in the group's history.

2015 - Graduation from Morning Musume: After a performance at Nakano Sunplaza, she graduated from the group in December.  She then went to New York to study dance and English.

2020 - She returns to the entertainment industry after 5 years: In September she announced her affiliation with Japan Music Entertainment and resumed her artistic activities.  She has appeared in musicals on stage, tv dramas and more. 

https://style.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO70984350U1A410C2000000/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...