Friday, June 11, 2021

Rihokora #25 - June 12, 2021 - Envisioning your ideal self

The difficulty of making it a habit

You should:
- Go to bed early, and get up early
- not let your work pile up
- not waste money
- cook for yourself
- exercise
- eat a lot of vegetables
- keep your place clean
- not look at your smartphone too much
- read books

... and the list of "you should" things goes on and on.  How many "you should" things come to mind?  Does it ever happen that the reason we don't do something is because we "should"?
I wish I could do everything on my list, but it isn't always possible...
I am sometimes uncertain of which item on the list to prioritize.  Life goes on of course, and I have a lot of stuff to deal with, if I want to have a satisfying life.  Right now, for example, I am thinking about work, but I also want to interact more with people, study more, practice more, and also relax, and not do anything at times.

When I try to develop a habit, the first thing I try to do is do it on a regular basis, but I become discouraged when that doesn't happen.

And then, it happens

But sometimes, it's just a matter of time to develop a habit.

My place used to be really messy (which is so embarrassing)... I was not good at keeping my place clean, and while I tried to do it several times, I wasn't able to improve.  I gave up, thinking this was a personality trait I would never be able to fix, and developed an inferiority complex.  
But it was all about the right timing.  The right moment for me was when I studied abroad.  I was renting a small apartment, and I flew back to Japan a few times, and my luggage soon began to become a problem.  I had stuff that I had brought with me in cardboard boxes that I never used.  I realized at that time that there were a lot of things I could live without.  So when I returned to Japan, I either gave away most of my things, or sent them to thrift stores.

That was perhaps an extreme reaction, but now I try to have only what I need, and I don't feel comfortable unless my place is clean and organized.  I have become very careful about what I buy.  It's strange that habits can change so suddenly.

Throughout our lives, we certainly won't be able to achieve everything we want, however, with that in mind, I would like to "upgrade" (note: Riho uses the English word "update"
myself as much as possible.  That's what I'm thinking.
So I continue to try developing more habits, knowing that I may not always be able to do so, while waiting for that sudden transition (note: such as the one described above when she moved abroad).

P.S. I just remembered a small habit I have developed.  I used to have a digital to-do list, and I switched to placing a sticky note with my list on my laptop, and it has improved my work efficiency.  Try it if you like!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...