Saturday, July 31, 2021

Riho Sayashi IIBC Newsletter interview (July 2021, Vol. 143)

 

Riho Sayashi (Artist): Born in Hiroshima prefecture in 1998.  Began dancing at Actors' School Hiroshima at an early age.  Debuted in 2011 at the age of 12 as a 9th generation member of Morning Musume.  After graduating from Morning Musume in 2015, she studied in New York.  After studying for 2 years she returned to Japan.  She resumed her performing activities in September 2020 with dramas, theatrical performances, and musicals.

After graduating from Morning Musume in 2015, she went to the United States (New York) alone at the age of 17.  She says that what she realized during her two years studying abroad was the importance of learning to speak at her own pace, and trying to communicate with others.

I wanted to learn English after performing in New York

It was the Morning Musume performance in New York in 2014 that made me want to study English and dance abroad.  I was 16 at the time.  I now have a TOEIC L&R score of 820, but at the time my level was so low that I didn't even know how to use the verb "be".

At the New York concert, all the members were planning to give a speech in English, and we had prepared and practiced many times in advance.  However, when it was my turn, I was so nervous that I couldn't remember anything.  I ended up speaking in Japanese, which was very frustrating.  Also, at the handshake session after the concert I could only say "Thank you" to the local fans who spoke to me in simple English.  I felt bad for not being able to communicate with the overseas fans, and I told the coordinator about my desire to study English abroad.  Their response was "It won't be too late if you start now".

To study abroad I had to graduate from Morning Musume.  It took me a long time to end up making that decision.  But I thought "What kind of an adult do I want to be?"  I wanted to see the world in a new way, and that's why I decided to study abroad.

In New York she went to musicals, and learned more about the local arts and culture scene.

Improving by listening, and by not pretending that I understand when I don't

Once I was abroad, the first thing I did was enroll in a language school.  I was placed in the beginners' class where I would listen to simple English phrases, in order to develop an ear for English.  When I started, I couldn't understand English, and hesitated to ask questions, and it was all depressing.  There were times when I pretended to understand, which would then lead to misunderstandings, and I thought "I can't go on like this".  After that, I tried to ask questions, until I was sure I understood, and began writing down frequently used phrases, that I would then use.

After about 3 months of studying, I began to feel more comfortable.  I was able to talk about complicated topics, as long as the other person was using simple English.

When I was in language school I was staying with a host family, and when I moved out they told me "Your English was not good at all when you arrived".  I would answer any question that began with "What" with "Yes".  Now that I look back at that period, I am glad I did this (went to language school) so that I could learn proper English.

I studied English for 1 year, and when I began dance lessons, my English may not have been perfect, but I didn't have any difficulties following my dance lessons.  What I learned at my language school was simple, everyday English, but my dance instructors had their own terminology, and I realized that different words can mean different things, depending on the context.

Sayashi-san says that interacting with people in the city left an impression on her.  This is a photo from Times Square.

Studying abroad helped me learn how to better communicate with people

The most important thing for me when communicating in English is doing it at my own pace.  If you lack confidence in your ability to speak English, you become impatient, and unable to speak, and end up confusing the person you are talking to.  But if you tell them in advance "I want you to speak slowly" communication is much easier, and more pleasant.

The same is true when communicating in Japanese.  I realized this with my guests on my radio show.  I invite musicians and actors that I am not personally close to, and when I have a "I would like to know you better, so please tell us about yourself" attitude, they open up, and I end up learning more about them.

Before I went abroad I wasn't good at communicating, but I now realize that by studying abroad, I didn't just learn English, but was also able to improve my communication skills.

However, after returning to Japan, and the longer I stay here, the fewer opportunities I have to speak English, and my ability to speak has been deteriorating.  English is necessary when communicating with people from overseas, so I am trying to find my own study method to maintain my skill level.

One thing I do is watch lifestyle videos in English on Youtube.  People of different nationalities have different expressions for the same things.  I feel that the best way to increase my vocabulary is by focusing on one genre of videos and comparing how different people use the language.

Above all, what motivates me to continue studying English is the friends I made in New York.  They are the most valuable asset I gained from studying abroad, and I keep in touch with them, even after returning to Japan.

In the future, I would like to continue interacting with different people while furthering my singing and acting career.  If possible, I would like to meet overseas fans, and broaden my horizons by interacting with people from various professions who have international careers.

Finally, I would like to continue studying English, and pass on to young people the message that "Studying English can be more fun, you know."

https://www.iibc-global.org/iibc/activity/iibc_newsletter/nl143_turningpoint_01.html

IIBC is a non profit organization that administers the English-proficiency TOEIC test in Japan.  Their newsletter includes, among other things, interviews with various personalities about their experience learning English.

Volume 143: http://www.iibc-global.org/library/newsletter/data/pdf/iibc_newsletter-143.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...