Thursday, August 5, 2021

Daybreak ep: Handwritten note, and comments by the co-creators

Former Morning Musume "absolute ace" Riho Sayashi resumes her music career after 5 and a half years, and receives a storm of praise from the album's co-creators

Establishing the independent label Savo-r, and producing her first ep, Daybreak

Riho Sayashi was the "absolute ace" of the idol group Morning Musume.  After graduating, she took a break to study dance and English.  Her first solo ep "Daybreak" is released on day 384 (August 4th of the 3rd year of the Reiwa era).  384 also happens to be her nickname.  Her co-creators have spoken about the release.
  
Her first ep is a work of self-reflection, and for this reason, she established her own label Savo-r.  She says "The day of the release has come really fast.  I have really been looking forward to this day so that everyone can hear the songs".

She added: "These 5 songs are the product of various challenges, and an attempt to present myself the way I am now.  The result is something I am proud of.  The artists that worked on the songs with me have provided their own comments, and reading them will give you a better understanding of the album.  The rest is up to the listener.  I look forward to hearing what everyone's thoughts are." (see the handwritten note below)


Kami Kaoru: "Riho-chan is an artist that can make her co-creators cry"

Gento Miyano
Congratulations on your first ep.  I'm sure it's a work worth listening to all the way through.  "Find me out" is about the past that Sayashi-san has been carrying, and the future she is looking forward to.  I wanted it to be a bridge between the past that becomes a part of us, and the challenges that the future presents.  I hope you follow Sayashi as she makes a new start, going through her own struggles, and finding her own identity.  I can't wait to see where it leads.

Akira Sunset
My first impression of Sayashi when I met her was that of a cute, and quiet girl, but when we began recording and exchanging ideas, I realized she's a person with a very strong character.  Although she was quiet, she had clear ideas, an uncompromising attitude, and was a true professional.  As for the songs, I knew they had to be dance songs, so I wanted "BUTAI" to be a song that couldn't be easily categorized in a genre.  When her serious vocals were added, I felt we accomplished that.  "Simply me" is also a dance song, but we tried to make the lyrics more approachable.  I would like you to continue reaching new heights as an artist.

APAZZI
Her careful and calm judgements during the production process were always on point, and working with her, it became clear that she is a trained performer who knows what she is doing.  We were drawn to her by her passion for the work, and her appeal as a person throughout the entire production!  For "BUTAI" we wanted to create a track that would drive home the coolness of the song and dance performance, and for "Simply me" we wanted a simple sound without any unnecessary elements that would resemble the Neptunes of the early 2000s.  We wanted to create something danceable by using quantization*.  I can't wait to see them on stage!

Note: In digital music processing technology, quantization is the studio-software process of transforming performed musical note, which may have some imprecision due to expressive performance, to an underlying musical representation that eliminates the imprecision. The process results in notes being set on beats and on exact fractions of beats.

orange spotting
Congratulations on the release of your 1st ep!  I wrote "Puzzle" hoping it would become a nostalgic melody and arrangement.  I was touched when I received the wonderful lyrics from Sayashi-san and heard her vocals.  I feel honored to have been involved in this wonderful project.

TAKAROT
We decided on the direction of this song (LAZER) after many discussions with Sayashi-san, and I feel it symbolizes a new beginning.  I hope this song, which contains the wonderful dancing, singing, and expressiveness of Sayashi-san will touch the hearts of listeners like a laser, a light that keeps moving forward.

Kami Kaoru
There are not enough words to describe certain artists, that are creative, and full of ideas.  Riho-chan is one of those artists that can make her co-creators cry.  She is the kind of person that always looks forward without being distracted.  But that doesn't mean she doesn't have her own insecurities or fears of losing her identity as a person.  But it's these fears and internal conflicts that make her suitable for the stage.  I trust such artists and I am glad my path met that of Riho-chan.  Handling a big project such as this one is a hard task for just 1 person, and I want to support her in order to fulfill her destiny.  I'm sure the same is true for the fans.  "LAZER", like a ray of light, is the very essence of her thoughts, her gaze, and life itself.  I hope that, not only Sayashi, but everyone who wants to move forward, determined, like a laser, will be able to unite in a unique moment as Sayashi is performing on stage.  And I hope we can all enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...