Friday, July 9, 2021

Rihokora #27 - July 10, 2021 - Hot and humid atmosphere

 The rainy season has arrived!

When I feel it's hot, I open the window in my room, but lately, the wind that comes in is not cool as it used to be, but warm.  Summer has arrived I guess.  And now we are in the middle of the rainy season.  Lately, I have been happy seeing the hydrangeas:


Do all of you have rainboots?  I have been looking for boots online, but every time I find something I ask myself "Do I really need them?" and end up not buying them.  I still haven't bought any, and I keep wearing sandals thinking "I'll get wet anyway".  Now, it's probably too late in the year to buy them...

Committed to sustainability

When I was in elementary school I would go to school, and return home along a road with an uncovered drainage ditch.  When it rained, my classmates and I would play with the water from the drainage ditch.  If I didn't have an umbrella, I would return home soaking wet, as if I was returning from the pool.  I was often scolded by my mother of course...

Mother, I'm sorry you had to keep doing laundry... but, it made for some rather fun memories.

When we are kids it is fun to turn everything into an adventure, but as adults, if we forget our umbrella, we will just buy one at the convenience store.

But... I don't really want to buy a cheap vinyl umbrella.  I don't like the idea of adding more stuff to my belongings when I already have one at home.  For this reason, I always carry a folding umbrella with me so that I never end up in a position where I have to buy one.  The diameter of the umbrella needs to be as large as possible, and it should also be durable to protect me from the sun when needed too.  But the point is that it's foldable and therefore small in size.  If I were to focus only on the diameter, I would end up getting one that is long, even when folded, which would make it difficult to carry around every time I leave the house.  Not good.

I use an umbrella that I bought with all that in mind.  I assume that some people buy an umbrella based on whether they like the design enough to use it every day?

Hopefully, I will be able to survive this rainy season without buying any more umbrellas.

Finally, I would like to express my deepest sympathies to those affected by the disaster (note: Riho is referring to the mudslide in the town of Atami which led to at least 9 deaths and more people missing).  Watching the news made me think again of what I should do if a disaster occurs in my area.  I hope that everyone will be able to return to their daily lives as soon as possible.

https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/2170



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...