Thursday, August 26, 2021

Riho Sayashi Netorabo (Netlab) interview - Aug 16, 2021

Another Riho interview that I had missed with some interesting comments

Former absolute ace of Morning Musume, Riho Sayashi, explains why it took her 5 and a half years to make her solo debut
Riho Sayashi released her first solo ep "DAY BREAK" on August 4.  It has been 5 and a half years since she graduated from the group at the age of 17.  She was considered the driving force behind the group's resurrection in the '10s.
Sayashi-san joined Morning Musume as a member of the group's 9th generation in 2011.  She came from Actors School Hiroshima, which also produced Perfume, and although she was only 12, she stood out for her dancing skills.  She became the main vocalist in her 2nd single "Only you", but she surprised her fans when she graduated at the age of 17 in 2015.  After that she left the entertainment industry to study abroad.  She opened an instagram account in 2020, and re-started her career, 5 years after her graduation.  Her solo debut came a year later.  We asked her why she had such a long "blank" period.

The interviewer (Naho Konishi) mentioned that she was impressed by how Riho would look her in the eye during the interview and answer her questions

"Such a waste!"
Sayashi says that when she was in a group there was pressure to lead, while now the pressure she faces is different.  She is also excited to make her debut for the second time

- You have finally started your solo career.  Why did it take 5 and a half years after graduation, and 2 years after returning to Japan?
- I was 17, and I wanted to "reset" myself.  I was thinking about becoming an adult, and thinking about the future, made me realize I had to change some things about myself.  It took me a year or two to make a proper break in my mind.  I needed some time to look at things clearly.  You may not understand this until you have experienced it, but it can take up to 5-6 years to realize what you want to do with your future.

- Some people had said that it was such a waste to graduate at 17, after only 5 years in the group.
- I heard that a lot, and I sympathize with such opinions.  It was a blessed environment, and I was able to do what I liked.  But it's not something that can last forever.  I thought it was the right time to change my environment.

- It was a bold decision.
- I don't know if I should say this myself, but I feel my path has been unconventional (laughs).  When I look back I feel that I didn't always fit into a mold, or follow the path that was created for me.  So I thought, why not just do my own thing?  So I made this choice.

- After returning from your studies abroad, you worked as an actress, and gained more experience.  How did you apply these new experiences to your work?
- While I had chosen what I wanted to do, I did not have the opportunity to put these thoughts and intentions into words (laughs).  By writing lyrics I was able to express these choices, and how I am now.  And it was also an opportunity to get to know myself a little better.

Sayashi turned 23 in May.

A project that is clearly hers
In "DAYBREAK" Sayashi took on the challenge to write lyrics for all songs.  This was her first time being involved in the songwriting process, and while holding the cd in her hands, she said with a smile: "I loved working on this!... I am really grateful."

She says that the love and support she has received for her solo debut is amazing

- Many of the younger Hello! Project members consider you an inspiration, and to a lot of fans you are a legend.  You must be under a lot of pressure, but what do you want to show in this new project?
- I have always wanted to deliver something, but I didn't want it to be disappointing (laughs), and since I am a cautious person, I wanted to do something I would feel good about.  My "style" has changed since the time I was in Hello! Project, so it's a bit different.  It sounds like I am contradicting myself, but it feels like this is a product of both my bold and my cautious side.

- There has also been talk about how both your voice and your singing style have changed.
- I have always listened to different genres of music and trained myself to sing in different ways.  In this LP (note: I think this was a typo, and it was supposed to say EP) I was able to try different singing genres, so I think that experience proved useful.
I used to think that my voice sounded completely different in recordings and at live performances, and by studying what led to those differences, I was able to make them sound more similar.  I feel this is more of an improvement than a change.

- This was a project that felt nostalgic, mostly due to the city pop touches, a genre that has been drawing a lot of attention overseas as well.
- To be honest, that wasn't a conscious choice.  In some cases I asked my composers to choose music that would fit the lyrics, in others I picked a song that drew my interest, or that matched my taste in music.  I think it is good to have a specific genre in mind, but in my case, I was more interested in expressing myself or sending a message (laughs).  It's just how things worked out.

60% music, 40% acting, if possible
Looking back, it seems that the decision to hold a concert came first, and that led to the production of the album.  The interview was held right before the live on August 9, and rehearsals were about to begin the day after the interview.

- The concert is in one week.  How prepared are you?
- About 70%.  Rehearsals start tomorrow!  There have been meetings, but there's still a lot we need to figure out with the band, the dancers, and the videos that we will show.  I think I will begin feeling overwhelmed tomorrow (laughs).  I have decided what I will say during the MC parts, and what the song order will be, so we are ready in some ways.

- After returning, you have done a lot of acting work in tv dramas and on stage.  How are you planning to balance the 2 activities in the future?
- That's true.  It depends on the timing, but if possible, I would like to do about 60% music, and 40% acting.

- ...Will you continue appearing in movies and dramas?
- I would like that very much!  I think there is a lot I can learn from acting that can help me in music too.  There are times when I put my heart and soul in a performance, but my facial expressions may not convey that, and I think "maybe I should have raised by eyebrows there" for example.  There are a lot of little things I have learned.
On the other hand, what I have learned in my music career can also be useful in my acting career.  I hope I can improve as a performer by doing both.

- Are you the type that watches her own performances?
- I am (laughs)!  I still have the mentality of someone who is now starting, and I try to keep a distance when I am watching my own performances on tv so that I can ask myself "Was that ok?"

Role models? No!
Sayashi clearly expressed her intentions for the new album with the following strong statement: "If I don't present who I am now with my work, there's no point in resuming my activities".  What are the goals of the current Riho Sayashi?

- You have been posting English messages on instagram.  Are you considering expanding your activities overseas in the future?
- It is something I would like.  I am always happy when I get responses or comments in English.  It makes me feel closer to the fans.  While the distance from Japan is big, and there are travel restrictions due to covid, it doesn't feel that way.  Thanks to the internet.
However, I do prefer meeting the fans in person.  When I was a member of Morning Musume and we had a concert overseas, my English wasn't good, and even though I had prepared a speech, I was so nervous that I forgot what I wrote, and it was frustrating.  I haven't had the chance to perform overseas since I studied abroad and learned English, so I would like to get my "revenge" (note: Riho uses the English word).

- Do you have any role models?
- No!  It's not that I don't have respect for other artists (laughs), but I meet many people at work, and I respect all of them.  It may sound selfish, but I would like to absorb as much as possible from everyone I meet (laughs).  Now that I have the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...