Friday, August 6, 2021

Rihokora #29 - Aug 7, 2021 - Cooling down

 Memories of summer

What are everyone's memories of this summer?

In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of the summer.  When it comes to work, I feel I made a lot of memories this summer.  But I haven't been able to make any memories in my personal life yet...

Are there any summer festivals being held this year?  One of the most memorable summer festivals I've been to is "yu-suzumi-kai" (evening cooling party), which was held at my school, when I was in elementary school.

My school had a very large playground, and the moms' volleyball team, as well as the youth baseball teams would set up stalls there, and a lot of people from the community, children and adults would gather.  There's something special about a summer festival where you know everyone, and you can feel their love for the community.  It's quite different than festivals in a big city.  We would go there every day, and it was a short walk from home.  We were usually not allowed to stay up until late (being children), but on that day I was allowed to stay out with my friends until it was dark outside, and that made it a very happy memory for me.

Thinking of my hometown...

The festival itself may have been fun, but I think what I was most looking forward to was wearing a yukata.  Nowadays, it's fashionable to wear yukata that emphasize your silhouette, but back then there were a lot of fluffy ones that looked like stage costumes.  I was wearing one that was rather flashy, with a pink pattern on a black background.  I wish I could show a photo but I would have to search really hard to find one.

I couldn't wait for the summer so that I could wear that frilly yukata, and I would search in my mother's closet where she kept it, and try it on without telling her.  It was one of those yukata that was easy to put on by myself, you know.  

My mother is the kind of person that keeps old stuff, so maybe she still has it.  Perhaps I should ask her...

We may have 4 seasons in Japan, but I feel that a lot of us (myself included), especially as we get older, lose touch of some of the things that make each season special and fun.

It would be fun, for example, to buy a yukata you like on the internet, and try it on.  If I got to wear a yukata, I would like to do it while playing with senko hanabi (traditional Japanese fireworks).  But doing it by myself wouldn't be fun.  I would like to do it with my friends.


https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/2257

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...