Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Riho Sayashi: I will make it to Budokan on my own (Crank-in! Aug 8, 2021)

 Another interview from right before the DAYBREAK concert.  I wasn't planning to translate it since it was so long ago and some of the comments Riho made were very similar to what she has said in other interviews, but I liked the title!


With my songs and performances, I want to show who I am now

- You wrote lyrics for all 5 songs in your first solo EP "DAYBREAK".  What kind of thoughts did you put into your solo debut?
- The title expresses my feelings about being able to restart my music career.  It is also a sign a respect for Morning Musume, the group from which I graduated.  After graduating from the group, I stopped performing, and went abroad to study, and now that I am resuming my career after a long time, I feel that it would be meaningless if I didn't deliver song and performances about who I am now.  Otherwise you could just watch the old videos.  I did that with the help of various lyricists and composers.

- You established your own label, Savo-r, with r being the first letter of your name, Riho.  This is an indication of your desire to succeed.  Do you feel differently as a solo artist, compared to when you were in a group?
- When I was a member of Morning Musume, I had a sense of responsibility, and pressure to lead the group and protect its legacy.  It's different now that I am a solo artist.  It's up to me to decide what I want to do, and I don't carry the burden of affecting the other members of the group with my choices.

- You announced the restart of your music career in an instalive.  What was the response from the fans?
- I was very nervous when I made the announcement.  What if the response wasn't what I hoped it would be?  But thankfully it was all very positive, which made me happy.  My return was received warmly, so I thought I can do it.  While I am still the person I used to be, I have also changed in some ways, and I was worried about whether there was demand for me to make music.  I am not doing this simply because there is demand, but I appreciate all the positive responses from fans.

- I got the impression that your voice, and singing style have changed in your news songs.  Is this something you were aware of or did consciously?
- I listen to artists from various genres, and often tell myself "I wish I could sing like this".  In this record, all 5 songs were of different genres, so I tried to give more thought to how I sang.  I've always felt that my voice sounded different during live performances and in studio recordings.  While preparing the record, I researched why my voice sounds different at lives and in the studio, and I think I was able to record my voice so that it sounds more similar to what I sound live.  The voice you have in mind is from 5 or 6 years ago, so of course it has changed, and I think this is what I sound like when I feel good.

By overcoming the trauma of the past, she was able to overcome the difficulties of writing lyrics

- When I talked to you at the end of last year, you had just started writing lyrics and you had told me you were rewriting them over and over again because you felt you had difficulties conveying your true feelings.  It's been half a year since.  Do you feel more comfortable writing lyrics now?
- I am still working on it.  I can't say "this is how you do it" yet, but I don't worry about it as much anymore.  It's like exposing your heart! (laughs)  While making the album, I received advice from writing experts, something manager-san suggested that I do.  I asked a book editor if the language I used was a bit too intense, and I listened to the opinions and advice of various people to make this a good work.

- In the handwritten note you sent to the media before the album's release, you mentioned that you "ran into a big challenge" while preparing the album.  What was that challenge?
- It was that I couldn't sing in a high key in front of an audience.  I had been traumatized by a mistake I had made once on a live tv broadcast.  I can do it when I am alone, but when in front of an audience, my voice wouldn't come out.  When recording this album, the staff understood that, and waited until I was ready.  Because they believed in me, I was able to relax, and sing the high notes.  It felt like a breakthrough, like crossing a mountain in a way, a mountain of bad memories.

- I didn't realize that at all, but I look forward to hearing Sayashi-san singing the high notes at the first solo live.
- I hope I can do it (laughs).  But now that I have overcome the trauma, I have been able to do it while practicing for the live performance.  I want to sing without being nervous, even at live concerts.

Making it to Budokan on her own

- After your first EP and solo live, what are your goals as an artist?
- I would like to have more chances to meet the fans.  The live was postponed in May, and capacity has now been reduced to 50%, and I am really sorry that many people couldn't get tickets.  I hope the situation improves so that more people can see me perform.  As for where I would like to perform, I would say Budokan.  It's a place that all artists dream of.  I had the chance to perform there while in the group, and I am grateful to everyone who supported me, but now I want to go there on my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...