Saturday, September 4, 2021

Rihokora #31 - September 4, 2021 - Chi(mu)purei (Team play)

An interesting story I had not heard of before

When I am at work, I have my make up done by professional make up artists, and I sometimes mistakenly think I'm as good as they are, but...
As I was taking this picture, I was thinking of how differently a professional would have done it.

I wonder why it's so different...

Recently, when I have time, I watch Paralympics.  I find it interesting that the athletes and everyone else involved have their own approach to the competition, and use their own advantages to succeed.  I was wondering about how the athletes deal with disabilities, so I decided to search for interviews and other articles.  And I found an impressive story.
The article was about Daisuke Sato, who plays blind sakka (soccer/football), a sport for athletes that are visually impaired, as a goalkeeper.  Sato (note: goalkeepers must be sighted or partially sighted) is not visually impaired, and his role, in addition to being a goalkeeper, is to guide his teammates by giving instructions during the game.  He says that there is a lot more to his role than just giving instructions on how to press their opponents.  He has been studying how to best communicate with his teammates, and practices every day.

The difficulty of communicating

When I read the article, my first reaction was "that makes sense".  And it also made me think that, regardless of the situation, we all need to think about how to communicate in a way that is easy for others to understand.
In the past, I have chosen the wrong words, which led to misunderstandings and problems.  For this reason, I always try to think about whether my words and actions are appropriate.  Especially in the day and age of SNS where our daily instagram posts or casual tweets can, literally, be read around the world.
Therefore, I believe it is important for all of us to express what we have in mind as accurately as possible, while also thinking of how our audience will perceive what we say.
When I was discussing this topic with my manager, we reached the conclusion that, the way we communicate with others, makes us who we are, and adding up these efforts at communicating is what creates relationships.  I want to give more thought to this topic.

To go back to the article, I feel it influenced my thinking a lot.  For example, during the rehearsals for my live performance, I was thinking that I should be more direct when making requests to the staff.  But instead of speaking, I could have used gestures so that we didn't have to stop the music.
This is another example of chimupurei (team play) that helps build a relationship of mutual trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...