Friday, November 26, 2021

Rihokora #37 - November 27, 2021 - "I was crazy about it!"

The meaning of life in a world that is too convenient
I had just finished my work, and I was writing something on the terrace of a grassy plaza near the studio where I was working.  I thought, Tokyo really has everything, doesn't it?  The view from this place was really nice, since there was no direct sunlight.  Wherever you are in Tokyo, you're only a short walk or train ride away from nature, museums, shopping malls, and any kind of cuisine.
I truly believe all that is amazing.  People often say, however, that when we can easily get what we want, we take it for granted, and it becomes more difficult to be happy.  Take money, for example, and how it can turn our lives upside down.  Once we have it, we feel it will always be there "by default", and when it's not there, it becomes a bad thing.  Maybe our brains are designed that way because if we were impressed by every little thing all the time, it would be too much to take.

But this is why I try to take the time to think about what I am blessed with and surrounded by.

That sweet (see below) is our only hope!
Going back to my point about "Tokyo having everything", while that's great, there's something about that "I can't take this for granted" feeling or about finding something you want with some effort.  This happened to me when I was in New York.
When I was studying there, there was a local chocolate candy that I loved to eat, but I had heard that it had arrived in Japan too a few months ago (only in Tokyo, I think).  When I heard that, I became happy, for a moment, thinking I could now eat it anytime I want, while in Japan!  But then I remembered how happy I was after seeing the candy for the first time in a travel magazine, and then, after a 13 hour flight, finally being able to buy it.  
Thinking "Oh, I can eat them anytime now" didn't feel as exciting anymore.  Such a painful episode lol
Cooking your own food is another thing that can make it taste better, since you can cherish the time it took you to make the food.  That's why too much convenience is not always a good thing.  It's such emotions that make us feel alive!

I'm pretty sure, however, that Junior's big cheesecake hasn't arrived in Japan yet.  This is another favorite of mine that I would eat when my stomach would allow.
I'm sorry I don't have a better picture of it, but it's delicious!

I am still hoping it won't come to Japan, so that I can go there myself!  I am sure I will go back one day, at least once, to eat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...