Friday, November 12, 2021

Rihokora #36 - November 13, 2021 - Romanticism "Romantishizu(mu)"

Relationships with warm-hearted people

In a recent interview I said "I love people, even though it doesn't seem that I do".  The interviewer responded by saying that I don't give the impression that I dislike people!  I was relieved to hear that.  People sometimes think that I don't get along well with others.  While I am shy, that's not really true.  
It may sound like an obvious thing to say, but when you interact with people, the chance of something wonderful happening, is greater than when you are alone.  

There were 2 things that happened this week that impressed me, and I would like to write about them.
The other day, I stopped by one of those coffeeshops from Seattle that you have all heard of (note: Starbucks).  No matter what coffeeshop I go to, I always pick something from the basic coffee menu, so I ordered a cappuccino without hesitation.  I was then surprised when the worker at the store asked me with a smile whether I would like it customized, as if it was something that I was expected to do.  At first, I thought of answering no, but then I thought "Why not?  Let's try something new today".  The little girl in me was excited at the idea.  The recommendation of worker-san was to add cacao powder (kakao pauda no toppingu), and that's what I did.

Adding powder on top of the foam doesn't make the cappuccino sweeter, but the scent of cacao accentuated the drink (dorinku no akusento), making me feel that I had a special cup of coffee that day.  Thank you to worker-san for adding some color to my usual break time.

Daily life becomes richer through casual conversations

Then, another day, my sister, who is 2 years younger than me, said: "Sister (ne-chan)!  The moon is so beautiful tonight!  Have you seen it?".  When she contacted me, I wondered if there was some big story about a celebrity, or a new food fad on instagram, but she had gotten excited about something so romantic!  I became a very happy ne-chan, and ran outside to check.  It was indeed a beautiful crescent moon.  I would have missed it if my sister didn't tell me about it, and that warmed my heart during this cold season.

 I am spending a lot of time confronting myself lately, and it's surprising to realize that I often don't pay attention to how I truly feel.  Have you been trying to better understand yourself?  I have been doing it a lot, and many things have come to the surface, and I am glad that some warm-hearted people helped me be more honest with myself.  I sometimes feel uncomfortable taking the initiative and interacting with people on my own, so this was a particularly good week for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...