Friday, January 21, 2022

Rihokora #41 - Jan. 22, 2022 - Knowing the bu(mu) (=boom, latest trends)

Fashion is for all ages

It's cold this morning... When taking a shower, I forgot to turn the shower head away from me (before the water warmed up) and I ended up taking a cold shower.  It's the kind of thing that wakes you up in the morning, but it's not good for you, so be careful everyone.

My 2nd ep "Reflection" has been released.  Did you have the chance to listen to it?
I'm so relieved it was finalized and available.  I'm really happy that so many people are listening to it.  Tomorrow will be the last day of the tour, in my hometown, in Hiroshima prefecture.  I hope we can finish the tour safely.

Now, lets talk about what I've been doing recently.

As someone who creates content online, I try to keep up with the latest trends, but I'm not yet familiar with TikTok.  I have downloaded the app of course, but I only use it occasionally.  But recently, while I was talking to my grandmother on LINE, she sent me a link.  When I opened it, I found it it was a TikTok video of a hairdresser teaching how to cut bangs.  I couldn't imagine my grandmother recommending me a TikTok video, because it's something my generation supposedly uses.

But then I remembered that my grandmother used to be a hairdresser.  So it was only natural for her to find such a video interesting.  She followed up with messages such as "This part of the technique is amazing" or "Why don't you cut your hair like that?"

Life lessons my grandmother taught me...

I realized that just because the tools we use change, our interests don't.  It was a great learning experience for me who had assumed that TikTok was only for young people.  I was impressed that my grandmother keeps up with the latest trends.
She's in her 70s, and she's interested in a lot of things, and now that I think about it, I never really feel like there's a generation gap when we talk.  And she's probably more interested in fashion than I am (although I should also become more interested).
She collects old rings and accessories and sometimes gives them to me.  She jokes "They're katami (=memento, souvenir, something to remember her by)".

Please don't say things like that grandma.  Having said that, it's not easy to meet at the moment, and I've been busy.  I should make time to go see her.
I hope that when I am as old as my grandmother is now, I will still be fashionable, and enjoy the same things people much younger than me enjoy.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...