Friday, April 30, 2021

Rihokora #22 - May 1, 2021 - Choosing the right plates

A new addition to Riho's way of life, Part 1

How is everyone's Golden Week going so far (note: Golden Week is a week that starts on Showa Day, April 29, and includes several national holidays)?  A year ago, I couldn't imagine I would be spending Golden Week again at home.  Many people are having difficulties adjusting to this situation, and losing patience.  I hope everyone can find the time to relax.

As for me, I am still trying to make the most of my time at home.  I don't think I have written about it yet in Rihokora(mu), but recently I began taking care of a houseplant called Everfresh.  This is a plant that opens its leaves in the morning, and folds them when the sun sets.  It looks different in the morning, and at night, which makes it look alive, and growing everyday, with good care.

It has only been about 2 months since Ebappi (a nickname I gave it for no reason) came to my house, but I have been pruning it, and the new leaves that have grown since are already quite large.  It has been fun looking forward to how it changes everyday.


A new addition to Riho's way of life, Part 2

Some more Riho news: I have beautiful new tableware at my house.

I saw an article online about an event.  The article was about a pottery event, and when I saw pictures of the works, I became very excited, and went to the event immediately.

I like household goods, but although I have been to a pottery class to learn to make plates, this was my first time at a tableware art exhibition.

When I arrived at the venue, I was guided to the first floor, and part of the 2nd floor of a 2 story coffee shop, that were used as a gallery where the artwork was shown.  There were exhibits with brown patterns, like milk tea, others with animal faces, such as a flying squirrel, and so on.  All the works were different than what I had at home, their shapes and colors were wonderful, and because they were handmade, they were all unique.

Due to the measures, only a limited number of people with tickets could enter the store, and everyone in the gallery took their time to find which pieces they wanted to take home.  It was a moment when I understood what it's like to be a collector.

After much thought, I narrowed down my choices to these two pieces here:


 They both have a good size to serve a meal.  The one on the left is a work by Naoto Nakagawa, and the one on the right by Yoshiran Sagawa.  With their blend of bold colors, and the texture of the borders, they go well with both Japanese and western dishes, and make even the most simple meals look magnificent (lol)

The colors are so beautiful!  I think so every day when I look at them, but they look impressive in the photos too.  Same way I like to know who produced the vegetables I buy, I also like to know who made the plates I use.

I am sure I will use them for a long time, and I will take good care of them.  I am glad I went.

https://wanibooks-newscrunch.com/articles/-/1929 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rihokora #51 - September 29, 2022 - Home is where the heart is

The daily routine becomes something fresh September was a bit hectic for me. However, as I mentioned in last month's column, I am still ...